Home Student blog

Australian Student Visa Explained

Student visa (Subclass 500): The purpose of this visa is to allow international students to undertake full-time education and training in Australia. This visa enables a student to stay in Australia for the duration of the relevant course. The student must enrol, or in some cases have a letter of offer, with an Australian education provider before lodging a visa application.

All of the following types of study are included on this visa.

  • independent ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students)
  • schools (primary and secondary)
  • secondary school exchange program
  • vocational education and training (VET)
  • higher education
  • postgraduate research
  • non-award courses
  • international students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Defence.

With this visa you can:

  • take part in an eligible course of study
  • include your family members in your application (your partner or you and your partner's dependent child.
  • apply online in or outside Australia
  • work up to 40 hours every 2-week period once your course starts.

Here are some important condition(s) might be attached to student visas:

8104-Work restriction: 40 hours a fortnight

Students can only work for up to 40 hours in a fortnight. A fortnight means the period of 14 days starting Monday. Students cannot work until they have started the course.


8202 – Meet course requirement

All students must:

*remain enrolled in a registered course

*maintain enrolment in a registered course that is the same Australian Qualifications    Framework (AQF) level or higher for which we granted your student visa, unless changing from AQF level 10 to level 9. See: Change in study situation.

*maintain satisfactory attendance in your course and course progress for each study period as required by your education provider.


8501 – Maintain adequate Health Insurance

All students and any dependents must  maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire duration of time they are in Australia. 


8533 – Inform Provider (university or institute) of address  

All students must let your education provider know your residential address within 7 days of arriving in Australia if you were outside Australia when your visa was granted. If your residential address changes you must let your education provider know within 7 days of the change. You must also your current education provider know you have changed your education provider within 7 days of receiving:

  • a confirmation of enrolment from your new education provider, or
  • evidence you have been enrolled by the new education provider

Interested to Study in Australia?

2016 © Uni2go. All rights reserved