Home Student blog

Post Study Work

The Australian Government has introduced post-study work visas for international students who complete studies in Australia. The post-study work visa provides a huge incentive for many people to consider studying in Australia. This visas will enable international graduates to gain practical work experience in Australia after they graduate and enhance their overall international study experience.

This visa has 2 streams:

  • Post Study Work Stream
  • Graduate Work Stream

Post Study Work Stream

This visa is for international students who graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study. This stream is only available to students who applied for, and were granted, their first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011. PSW can be granted for up to four years from the date the visa is granted depending on the visa applicant's qualification.

The length of your stay in Australia will depend on the level of your Australian study qualification.

  • bachelor degree (including honours): 2 years
  • masters by coursework: 2 years
  • masters by research: 3 years
  • doctoral degree: 4 years

You can include members of the family unit in your application when you apply. Family members who apply for the visa must meet

The Department of Home Affairs in November 2019 has announced a new initiative for an additional Temporary Graduate visa with an extra year of post-study work rights for international students who:

  • Graduate from the regional campus of a registered university or institution with a higher education or postgraduate qualification; and
  • Maintain on-going residence in a regional area while holding their first Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa

The second Temporary Graduate visa will require on-going residence in a regional area. The definition of regional Australia for this purpose will be the same as the definition for skilled migration – all of Australia except Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane.

The visa has full work rights, and it allows visa holders to travel freely to and from Australia during the validity of the visa.

Graduate Work Stream

This visa is for international students with an recognised and eligible qualification who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). A visa in this stream is granted for 18 months from the date of grant.

You will need to:

  • Nominate 1 occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) and
  • Have a degree, diploma or trade qualification (with minimum 92week duration) closely related to that occupation and
  • Be assessed by a relevant assessing authority as having skills suitable for that occupation

Other requirements

  • You will need to meet the Australian study requirement, meaning that your course of study must have been completed in Australia (in English) over a period of at least two academic years (92 weeks) and be registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
  • You will need to meet English language requirements (a minimum score of 6 in each component of the IELTS exam or equivalent score in another specified English language test), as well as health, good character and security requirements. You will also need to provide evidence that you have health insurance to cover the duration of the post-study work visa.

The visa has full work rights, and it allows visa holders to travel freely to and from Australia during the validity of the visa.

Interested to Study in Australia?

2016 © Uni2go. All rights reserved