Work while you study abroad

A part-time job while studying abroad can help you to gain skills that a university or college degree won’t teach you. It further helps you to broaden your study abroad experience,  improve your self confidence, develop language & interpersonal and social skills plus helps to meet some living expenses. 

Generally all  universities / colleges abroad  have a careers office, which regularly posts employment vacancies. The local industry and employers generally recruit students for part-time work from here. In addition to this the careers office will also prepare you with resume writing skills and give you an update on the opportunities and where to find them.

Other options of finding jobs are thru local community newspapers and networking. Students will have to meet people, go and personally drop resumes at various spots which can include local service stations, fast food joints, restaurants, super markets and other business establishments. 

Before you start searching for jobs, it is important to take several things into account, such as the laws in your country of study, and whether there is a limit to the number of hours you can work according to your visa type, if applicable. Different countries have different regulations when it comes to work available to international students, so it’s important to check them before applying for jobs. Another important thing you should take into account are your studies and lifestyle – A part-time job should have minimal impact on your education: 


International students studying in Australia can work up to 40 hours every two weeks and unlimited hours during holiday breaks.  Before commencing work in Australia, there are a few essential pieces of information that all international students need to be aware of.

-Tax File Number (TFN)

Every person that works in Australia needs to register for a tax file number. This is a personal reference number issued by the Australia Taxation Office (ATO) and is used to file tax reports and important government documents. You can apply for one online here. 

-Minimum wage and superannuation

In Australia, there is a minimum wage which applies to everyone including international students.  The current minimum wage in Australia is $18.93 per hour.If an employer offers any less than this amount, they are breaking the law. 

-Safe healthy work environment

Under work health and safety laws (WHS) in Australia, employers must ensure workplaces are free from all safety hazards, meeting all occupational health and safety (OHS) regulations. 

For more details CLICK HERE  


Canadian Study Permit holders who meet the eligibility criteria are allowed to work on or off campus without the need for a separate work permit. Students who meet the following criteria may work for up to 20 hours per week during term time, and full time during academic holidays:

*Must have a valid Canadian study permit and must be enrolled in a full-time course 

*Must be studying at an authorized designated organization in Canada, such as a Canadian university, community college, college d’enseignement general et professional (CEGEP), publicly funded trade or technical school, or a private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees. 

*Must be studying at post-secondary level in Canada, or; 

*Must be studying towards a secondary level vocational qualification, or a post-secondary level qualification in Quebec 

*Must be studying on a program that awards a degree, diploma or certificate 

*Must be studying on a program that lasts for at least 6 months

Canada provides extensive work and career opportunities for students. Many institutions in Canada offer a co-operative education program. This is a structured program where students alternate between periods of work and study. This integrated curriculum is achieved through a partnership between the educational institution and industry.

For more details CLICK HERE 

New Zealand 

International students in NZ on a student visa enrolled in full time course with atleast 2 years duration and students studying 1 year course that gains points under the skilled migrant category are allowed to work part-time up to 20 hours a week during classes and full-time on scheduled holidays.

If a student is enrolled in Masters by research or doctoral degree program awarded by a New Zealand tertiary institution then they are allowed to work full time during the term and full time during scheduled holidays

Note: International students are not allowed to be self-employed. You must work for an employer and have an employment agreement.

All international students will need an IRD number from Inland Revenue Department before they start working. This number needs to given to the employer when you start work and use it for all of your New Zealand tax matters. Everyone who works in New Zealand, including international students, has basic rights and entitlements at work.

Your employer is also required by law to:

Provide you with a written employment agreement

Pay you at least the minimum wage

Provide you with paid rest breaks and unpaid meal breaks

Give you public holidays off or if you’re working on these days, compensate you for working

Not deduct money from your wage unless the agreement is in writing

Provide a safe workplace

For more details CLICK HERE 

United Kingdom 

International students studying in UK at undergraduate and postgraduate level with a valid student visa  are currently permitted by law to work a maximum of 20 hours each week during term time and unlimited hours during holiday breaks.

For students who are studying for a qualification below degree leve, they can work for 10 hours per week . (UKVI has defined a "week" as "a seven day period starting on a Monday and ending on a Sunday) 

Student visa students can only work on a temporary basis - they cannot be employed on a permanent contract. They cannot be self-employed or set up a business, or employed as a professional sportsperson or as an entertainer.

For more details CLICK HERE 


United States of America (USA)

Employment opportunities for international students while studying are limited. You should not plan on earning substantial money from a part-time job to help pay for your studies.

F1 student visa holders cannot work in any off campus employment during the first year of their studies. In certain circumstances the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS) may grant permission to certain student s for off-campus employment only after one year of study. Students can however accept on-campus employment at their university. These on-campus jobs are often difficult to obtain and do not provide sufficient funds to sustain education costs. Students with good academic standing have a better chance.

After the first academic year, F-1 students may engage in three types of off-campus employment:

    -Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

    -Optional Practical Training (OPT) (pre-completion or post-completion)

    -Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension (OPT)

For both F-1 and M-1 students any off-campus training employment must be related to their area of study and must be authorized prior to starting any work by the Designated School Official (the person authorized to maintain the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)) and USCIS.

For more details CLICK HERE  


International students with Stamp 2 permission are allowed to take up casual employment. They can work up to 20 hours a week during term time and up to 40 hours a week in the holidays.  Holiday periods have been standardised - June to September inclusive and from 15 December to 15 January.  Students with stamp 2A permission are not allowed to work.

To be eligible to work part-time, you need to be:

 *Registered with local police known as Garda National Immigration Bureau or GNIB

 *Accepted to a course recognized by the Minister for Education and Skills

 *Enrolled in a full-time course at or above NFQ Level 7 and attending classes between 8 AM and 6 PM per week

 *Enrolled in a course with at least one year’s duration

 *You will also need to acquire a PPS Number (Personal Public Services Number). Your employer will be able to pay you only if you have a PPS number. Also, you will need to open an account with any Irish bank as the payment can be made only to an Irish bank account. You will be required to comply with the Irish tax laws, employment laws, and taxation requirements.

For more details CLICK HERE