Study in UK


  • Capital London

  • Currency Pound Sterling

  • Language English

  • Population 68 Million

  • GDP $ 2.83 Trillion

  • Dialling Code +44

Why study in the United Kingdom ?

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is commonly known as the United Kingdom (UK) or Britain. It is made up of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales.

The UK is one of the world’s most popular destinations to study higher education, with more than 460,000 international students enrolling each year from all over the world. The UK is home to some of the oldest universities in the world, with some dating back almost 1,000 years. It is at the forefront of innovative research and emerging technologies, giving students exposure to insights and experiences that are high in demand around the world.

One of the biggest reasons students choose to come to the UK is its world-renowned reputation for academic excellence. The UK universities consistently rank amongst the best in the world.

Academic programs are generally shorter in the UK than many other countries. Students studying in UK can earn a Bachelor’s degree in three years of full-time study, and complete a Master’s degree course in one year. In addition to all the above, international students who have successfully completed an undergraduate or master’s degree will be able to get the two years’ work visa (Graduate Route) upon graduation. Students who complete their PhD will be able to stay for three years.

Top 6 reasons for studying in UK

  • Academic Excellence
  • Internationally recognized degrees
  • Shorter duration of courses
  • Vibrant campus life
  • Work while you study
  • Safe and multicultural


Universities in the UK follow an academic calendar that begins in September and ends in July.

There are three (3) intakes available in UK :

Fall : The Fall intake starts in the month of September/ October and this is the primary intake. It’s the most popular intake for Indian students

Winter : Starts in January, this intake is for students who missed their chance in Fall

Summer : This starts usually in April or May. This intake is only offered by few institutes for limited programs

Student visas

All students from India who want to study in UK need to obtain a student visa. This visa allows you to study for up to five years (depending on the length of your course) in one of UK university or institute.

The Student visa application must be submitted online using the official UK government website

Students can apply for the visa (3) months before the start of their course date. The student visa is sponsored by the institution / university that the student will be studying at.

The list of institutions that are licensed to sponsor students are listed here. (Register of licensed sponsors: students - GOV.UK)

All students must also have received an unconditional offer also known as Conformation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) by a licensed student sponsor before they can apply.

As a part of the student visa application you will also need to get your health check up done and provide proof that you are in good health. The health check-up and certificate can only be provided by the Panel doctor in your city authorized by the Australian government

An overview of study visa application requirements is included below:

English language requirements
You’ll have to provide with an evidence of proficiency in the English language when you apply for your visa. This usually means passing a secure English language test. (like IELTS). UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) have minimum English language requirements for reading, writing, listening and speaking according to your level of study.

Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS)
You must have a CAS before making an application as student. A CAS is an electronic document that your college/university issues when you accept the offer. The CAS is stored on the database that Home Office can see

Biometric residence permit
You must also obtain a biometric residence permit (BRP) from the UKVI. You will need to make an appointment with the UKVI office in your city to have your fingers and thumbs scanned and a digital photo taken of your face.

Immigration Healthcare Surcharge (IHS)
You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. This IHS helps to fund the UK healthcare system, and gives students access to free healthcare while living in the UK

The student visa process might seem a little confusing to all as there are many requirements that you will have to satisfy, However the Uni2Go expert team will make it easy for you.

Working while you study in UK

International students studying at undergraduate and postgraduate level with a valid student visa are currently permitted by law to work a maximum of 20 hours each week during term time and unlimited hours during holiday breaks.

This can be a great way to find study-related work or simply pay for your lifestyle in UK. The flexible hours and large number of opportunities in these industries make these ideal for students:

  • Retail - including supermarkets, department stores, boutiques
  • Hospitality - cafes, bars, restaurants, delivery
  • Farming and fruit-picking - seasonal work
  • Services – childcare, aged care and cleaning
  • Administration and clerical work

Browse Topics


The course fee at most UK universities or institutes is relatively affordable compared to many other countries. Tuition fee may be different from institute to institute and may depend on the type of qualification and university or institute you opt for. Below we have outlined the approximate range of annual tuition fees:

Study Level Average Fee (Indicative)
Diploma / Advance Diplomas £ 8000 to 14000 per year
Undergraduate £ 10,000 to 17,000 per year
Masters £ 10,000 to 20000 per year
MBA £ 19000 to 21000 per year
Doctoral & Phd £ 13000 to 30000 per year
Research Degrees (PhD, MPhil, DPhil) (Level 8) 2 to 4 years

Apart from the above Living Expenses in UK are:

  • For Indian students staying in London, an average of £1,265 per month is required as living expenses according to UKVI
  • For Indian students staying in other parts of the UK require a minimum of £1,015 per month as living expenses

Annual living costs for Indian students in the UK may therefore come up to £12,000 - £15,000 in addition to their tuition fees

Yes, the Indian 10+2+3 system is accepted by all institutes as entry into any post graduate (PG) programs.

The following English language tests are commonly accepted for entry into degree-level courses:

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - Internet-Based Test (IBT)
  • Trinity College's Integrated Skills in English (ISE)
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE)
  • Cambridge Advanced Certificate in English (CAE)
  • Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
  • English Language GCSE, A-level or IB

What is CAS ? CAS stands for Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies and is an electronic document that your institute/university issues when you accept the offer and fee is paid. The CAS is stored on the database that UK Home Office can see. UK student visa regulations require that the institute/university sponsor your application for student visa and CAS will confirm this. This is a very important document if you are planning to study in UK.

Yes , international students with a student visa are allowed to work while studying in the UK. The number of hours a student is allowed to work will depend on the level of the education they’re pursuing. This allows to learn new skills and earn money while studying. Students studying at degree level and above (Bachelors or PG Masters) can work for a maximum of 20 hours in any given week. If they are studying below degree level, they may work up to 10 hours in a given week. During vacation period or holiday breaks students are allowed to work full-time.

There are lots of options available to international students who want to stay and work in the UK after completion of their studies. From summer 2021, The Graduate Route will be available to international students who have a valid student visa at the time of application and have successfully completed a degree at undergraduate level or above at a Higher Education Provider with a track record of compliance. Students successfully completed an undergraduate or master’s degree. on this route will be able to stay and work, or look for work, in the UK at any skill level for a maximum period of two years (24 months) , for PhD graduates will be able to stay for three years. Graduates will be able to switch into skilled work once they have found a suitable job. For more details Graduate Route

In addition to the above Students with a UK Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree, or another postgraduate qualification may apply for the Skilled General Work Visa if they have been offered a skilled job in the UK by a licensed employer. For more details Skilled Worker Visa

There are many scholarships available to Indian students wanting to study in the UK given by UK government, private non profit organisations and the universities. Mostly these scholarships are merit based and the amount available can vary. Certain research programs may provide up to 100% of the tuition fee waiver besides covering a part of your living expenditures. In addition almost all UK universities and colleges have their own list of scholarships for Indian students. You may experience lot of competition when you apply for government scholarships in comparison to the university scholarships. Here is the list of some popular government scholarship programs you can apply to study in the UK as an Indian student:
  • Chevening Scholarship - Click Here
  • Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship - Click Here
  • GREAT Scholarships - Click Here
  • Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarships (CWIT) - Click Here
  • Scotland Saltire Scholarships - Click Here